According to the announcement, 2020 is going to be a breakthrough year in terms of ecological approach for 5150 Warsaw and Enea IRONMAN 70.3 Gdynia events.
- We are taking this very serious and 2020 is going to be just the beginning of our journey towards green events. Our goal is to follow the best global practices and become a benchmark for other Polish event organizers in this area – says Michał Drelich, race director.
The ambitious plan features the following initiatives:
• Deposit and transition bags produced of ocean waste plastic;
• Withdrawal of any plastic cups from the aid stations;
• Using electric cars during the events;
• ‘Zero waste’ strategy – aiming to minimize waste, including donating food after the event to local charities;
• Waste segregation on race weekends;
• Organized collection of electrowaste, plastic bottle caps and used sportive clothes;
• Reduction of printing materials, incl. resignation from printed Official Race Magazine (digital only);
• A trial of edible and biodegradable water bubbles on aid stations;
• Collection of all the PET bottles on race weekends for recycling purposes.
However, this is not a complete list. Both events have also launched a strategic cooperation with the State Forests in Poland – the governing body for all the forest areas in the country – aiming to found an „Iron Forest”:
- Our ambition is to become neutral in terms of CO2 emission. To achieve this, we need to compensate for the entire emission generated by the events. That is why we will raise funds to plant a so-called Iron Forest. This is going to be a gift for nature from the Polish triathlon – comments Michał Drelich.
INCREASED PARTICIPATION LIMITS
Entries for 5150 Warsaw have already been available for a couple of weeks, with 50% of entries already sold now. The registration are held on SlotMarket.pl registration platform.
There are several positive developments here as well:
• Participation limit for Sprint Triathlon held the day before Enea IRONMAN 70.3 Gdynia has been increased up to 1500 athletes;
• Participation limit for Sprint Triathlon Relays held the day before Enea IRONMAN 70.3 Gdynia has been increased up to 150 teams;
- We do hope this will make entering the event more accessible for - believes Piotr Jakóbik, marketing director for Sport Evolution, the exclusive IRONMAN® licensee in Poland.